Churchville School evolved from the first school organized in
Addison Township in 1837 to educate the children of the original
settlers. By 1842, the township school trustees designated Churchville
as District #3. The schoolhouse was built about 1850 on land
donated to District #3 by August Fischer, son of Conrad Fischer.
The property was to be used by the district as long as school
was held on the site. Many Bensenville children went to
Churchville School until 1886 when the original Green Street
School was built.
schools in Addison Township were non-graded, one room schools
which held classes only in the warmer months. Winter school was
rare due to poorly heated buildings and long distances to walk.
It wasn't until the turn of the century that all day school was
held from September to May.
School was typical of the public schools of the time. It housed
eight grades in one room with one teacher, who was responsible
for devising lesson plans and keeping the stove going. Originally,
drinking water was carried from the parsonage across Church Road.
In 1925, the well at the schoolhouse was built. There was no
insulation in the building, so in cold weather students wore
their coats and kept their feet off the floor to keep warm.
school classes were held in this building until 1931, when a
new brick school was built south of Grand Avenue. (Photo
of the second Churchville School) Until 1950,
classes met at old Churchville School one day a year to fulfill
the legal claim of District #3 to the property. When public school
classes were no longer held here, the property reverted back
to the Fischer family.
schoolhouse did not stand idle. Beginning in 1932, it was the
meeting place of the Churchville Community Club and served as
the overflow area for the Immanuel Church Sunday School.
Later, Al Benziger's Boy Scout Troop met in the schoolhouse,
as did the White Pines Civic Association. It also served
as a polling place.
1967 the school building had fallen into disrepair and a group
of former students and neighbors began to rebuild it. Willard
Fischer, Monroe and Jim Fischer, Everett, Dan, and Kenneth Fischer,
Ed and Elmer Schultz, George and Louis Cornille, William Smeja,
Al Benziger, and Robert (Smokey) Smeja restored the building
to its present condition in 1967-1968.
Churchville Historical Society used to meet in the schoolhouse,
maintained the site, and made it available for tours. At
some point, Elmhurst School District #205 maintained the site
and managed the tours. In September of 2001, ownership was
transferred to the Village of Elmhurst and programs were
handled by the Elmhurst Historical Museum. The
school still stands on its original site and will soon be
available for school tours again.
For a turn of the
century picture of Churchville students, go to Group Sampler.
This information was taken directly from articles in the local
history file in folder eighteen. For more photos and information
about Bensenville schools, go back to the Main Menu and click