Religious services were first held on the Schmidt family farm at the south end of Dunklee's Grove. This was in 1837 when the Lutheran immigrants from Hanover and the Reformed immigrants from Prussia and organized the German United Lutheran Reformed Congregation. In later years, members of this first congregation established Zion, St. John's, Immanuel, and Peace Churches.
The area on Church Road north of Grand Avenue came to be known as Churchville because of Zion and Immanuel Lutheran congregations that were established in the 1850's and 1860's. Both congregations still worship on Church Road, although only Zion is in its original building.
Catholics in Bensenville rode the Milwaukee Road to St. Philomena's in Chicago, then later to St. Gertrude's in Franklin Park. Services were also held temporarily at Village Hall. In 1921, a mission church was established on Wood Street near Rose. This was the beginning of the St. Alexis parish which is now at Wood Street and Barron. In 1960, St. Charles Borromeo was built on Grand Avenue.
In the 1950's the congregations for Christian Science, Presbyterian, Episcopal, Primera Iglesia Bautista, and Bensenville Bible Churches were established. Grace Lutheran, Calvary Baptist, and United Methodist came later. Many of these congregations met in clubhouses, businesses, and schools before their churches were built.
From Bensenville by Martha Kirker Jones, 1975