Running out of things to do? We’ve put together some at-home challenges for you! Complete the fun and educational activity on each square. Bring in your completed challenge sheet and receive a special prize when we reopen. Have fun, and keep learning!
Month: March 2020
Online Library Card
Keep Kids Learning: Free Online Resources
Looking to keep your kids engaged and learning? Take advantage of the wealth of free, online, educational resources available to you for free – from home! Explore this list we’ve compiled of our favorite lessons, games, science experiments, storytimes, live demonstrations, virtual tours, and more! Please note that we do not accept submissions for inclusion into our online resources collections.
Simple STEAM Activities to Do With Household Items
Check out this guide of fun STEAM activities to do at home! Use these activities as part of your home-schooling program or supplement whatever your child is already learning at school. From science and technology to math and engineering, it’s a great way to keep kids engaged and interested as they learn and develop new skills.
Whether you have a child in kindergarten or high school, Breakout EDU has a slew of educational games that touch on subjects like science, math, and language arts. Students can click on any game and start playing! AGES: K-12
Along with a ton of craft ideas for kids in elementary school and younger, Crayola has many lesson plans, covering language arts, math, and more. And they’re totally free! This collection grows continually and always inspires new learning excitement. AGES: Pre-K through 12
Children of middle school age and older can access more than 7,000 free videos across 13 subjects with HippoCampus. The best part? It’s always free. Explore multimedia content: videos, animations, and simulations on general education subjects.
Along with movement exercises for little kids, elementary-age children can access GoNoodle’s free resources, like mindfulness videos, downloadable learning resources, and ideas for off-screen activities. ALL AGES
BiblioBoard Library: Free e-Content!
A robust collection of classic novels, educational content, interactive eBooks for kids — available to everyone in Illinois! No library card is required, and all materials are available for immediate access. Note: Click on “RAILS for Schools” or the “BiblioBoard Library of Illinois” to get started.
Sesame Street: Caring for Each Other
These are challenging times, and your friends at Sesame Street are here to help — videos, playful learning activities, and ways to help families stay physically and mentally healthy. New videos posted each week, like Singalong with Elmo or Snack Time with Cookie Monster!
Children’s Activity Calendar | DEMCO
Find themed ideas for kids — activities, crafts, books, celebrations, and more! A variety of calendars are available to help parents keep their little ones busy and learning with early literacy and general activities.
Free Arts and Crafts Resources for Home Learning | Coupon Follow
Did you know that students who study art are four times more likely to earn academic honors? Arts and crafts have been around for centuries, and there are many different ways that you can make art. From scrapbooking and sewing to painting, sculpting, and drawing, there are lots of different types of arts and crafts to enjoy, and you can explore many of them at home.
Bedtime Stories with Dolly Parton
“Goodnight With Dolly” features Dolly Parton reading a series of Imagination Library books all carefully chosen for their appropriate content. Dolly welcomes the viewers and introduces the title, author and illustrator, and shares stories that are just right for this moment in time.
KidLit: Explore the World of Children’s Literature
Enjoy fun read-aloud, crafts, lessons and fun interviews from authors. KidLit is a diverse group of parents, educators, librarians, and creators working together to create fun new ways to reinforce an appreciation of reading that children will carry with them for the rest of their lives.
PBS Kids offers activities, games, videos, and podcasts to help kids play and learn at home. ALL AGES
Brookfield Zoo: Bring the Zoo to You!
Browse through a catalog of Brookfield Zoo’s “Bring The Zoo To You” videos featuring live animals at the zoo as well as plenty of educational, informative insight from one of our Animal Care Specialists. ALL AGES
Read Brightly: Reading Through It Together
Brightly has put together educational resources and engaging activities so there’s always something to keep your kids occupied. Whether you’re looking to keep them focused on learning, just need some peace and quiet, or a little of both, we’re here for you. AGES: 0 to 13+
Each day, Wonderopolis poses an intriguing question—the Wonder of the Day®—and explore it in a variety of ways. Wonderopolis was created by the National Center for Families Learning (NCFL) in 2010, and it has become one of the most popular education sites today. ALL AGES
FunLab: by the California Science Center
Fight boredom and continue your child’s science learning with easy to follow activities. Designed for families to explore, investigate, and learn together without ever needing to leave the house. All activities use easy to find household supplies. ALL AGES
National Geographic Learn at Home
A curated collection for curious learners in grades K-3. With minimal supplies needed, these activities will keep young learners’ minds engaged in social studies, geography, science, and more. GRADES: Kindergarten to 3rd
Even when schools are closed, you can keep the learning going with special cross-curricular journeys.
GRADES: PreK to 9th
LUNCH DOODLES with Mo Willems!
People of all ages have joined Mo Willems in his studio for his LUNCH DOODLES. All 15 episodes and their downloadable activities are available for streaming. Let the doodling continue! Learners can draw, doodle and explore new ways of writing by visiting Mo’s studio virtually. ALL AGES
The SAG-AFTRA Foundation’s award-winning children’s literacy website, Storyline Online, streams videos featuring celebrated actors reading children’s books alongside creatively produced illustrations.
AGES: 0 to 8
Launch rockets, build a Moon Habitat, solve spacey puzzles, and more! These science, technology, engineering, and math activities are fun for kids, adults, and the whole family. GRADES: Kindergarten to 12th
Online beginner Spanish lesson with audio, and well-known children’s stories translated into Spanish and spoken by a native Spanish speaker. Great for kids… and adults too! Read along in Spanish or English. ALL AGES
Learning doesn’t just have to be about writing, math, or reading! Use these scavenger hunt ideas to get your kids active – both mentally and physically. ALL AGES
YMCA 360: Online Exercise Classes
Take group exercise classes right in your own home at no charge for a limited time! Explore sports classes and more for people of all ages and all interests.
Created by Peters Township Public Library, use your knowledge of Harry Potter and try to escape as a family or by yourself! AGES: 9+
Find printables, recipes, crafts and more from your child’s favorite Nickelodeon and Nick Jr. shows.
AGES: 1 to 12
Write Your Name in Egyptian Hieroglyphs
Learn to write your name like ancient Egyptian royalty! The Royal Ontario Museum breaks down at-home activities into learning goals, background information, and also provides step-by-step instructions. AGES: 8 to 14+
The Southern California animal park has a website just for kids, featuring animal profiles, fun facts, stories, videos, activities, games and conservation information. Craft activities include instructions for making sock puppets, animal figures, a pinata and more. ALL AGES
Brought to you by the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy! Browse through a catalog of their Shark Story Hour videos and other shark content. Hear great read-alouds and learn facts about your favorite underwater friends – SHARKS! AGES: geared towards K-5 grade, but good for all ages
Story Time from Space is a project of the Global Space Education Foundation that sends children’s books to the International Space Station. While in space, astronauts are videotaping themselves reading these books to the children of Earth. ALL AGES
Virtual Farm Tours: American Dairy Association
Tour a farm and learn more about how Farmers grow and raise what you eat.
Virtual field trips are a great way to expose kids to new places all from home. Many museums, zoos, and aquariums have set up virtual tours and webcams of their facilities. It’s easier than ever to visit destinations around the world from the comfort of your couch. ALL AGES
ABC Mouse – Free 30 Day Trial!
Full online learn curriculum available for a free for 30 days. Content available in math, science, reading, and art & colors. AGES: 2 to 8
COVID-19 Updates for Our Library
- Monday – Thursday | 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Friday | 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday | 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday | 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
What you can expect upon your next visit to the Library:
- In accordance with the CDC and IDPH recommendations, masks will be optional while inside of the Bensenville Community Public Library, regardless of vaccination status.
- There is no hourly visit limit in place.
- Full computer availability in the Adult Services and Youth Services Departments.
- Study room spaces are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Toys and manipulatives are available in the Youth Services Department.
- As of April 1, 2022, public meeting room reservations have resumed.
- Furniture and seating has been restored throughout the Library, while accommodating appropriate distancing.
- Please stay mindful of social distancing! Floor decals are placed around the Library to remind patrons and staff to maintain a safe and comfortable distance.
- Sneeze guards are in place at service desks and hand sanitizer is readily available throughout the building.
- Passport services are available. We accept passport applications by appointment only. Please call (630) 766-4642 to schedule an appointment, or email us at email@example.com. More information at benlib.org/passport-services.
- Faxes costs $1 per page to send and receive. Copies cost 10¢ for black and white per side. When printing in our computer lab, the first 10 prints will be free. After the first 10 free prints, prints will cost 25¢ for color (per side) and 10¢ for black and white (per side).
- The Library will implement a hybrid of in-person and virtual programming for our community. Please view our current Program Guide to see all of our current programming opportunities.
- All items returned to the Library are no longer subject to a material quarantine.
- Remember that the Library is Fine Free Forever! (Laptops and hotspots will still be subject to late fees.)
- Newspapers are available to browse.
- Curbside pickup, and other contact-free, online services, are still available for patrons.
The Bensenville Community Public Library is currently open, but please note that we have a variety of contact-free services, such as curbside pickup and our online services, available for use.
What services are available via curbside pickup/contact-free?
- Printing, copying, scanning, faxing
- Check out laptops & hotspots
- Pick up craft program supplies
- Public WiFi in parking lot
- Get a library card!
- Check out books, audiobooks, magazines, DVDs, Blu-rays, CDs, board games, binge boxes, youth book bundles & kits, and more!
- Call us! We are happy to help!
What services are available online?
- Browse our online catalog
- Sign up for our live virtual programming
- Online databases & research
- Download eBooks and eAudiobooks for free!
- Get an online-only library card!
- Print to the Library
- Free online continuing education courses
- Explore free, online resources for kids
- Stream storytimes, craft videos, and more!
Questions? Call us at (630) 766-4642, fill out our Contact Us form, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Library Carpeting Project Complete
We are pleased to announce that as of March 11, 2020 the Library’s interior carpeting project is complete!
We appreciate our community’s patience and understanding as everyone involved worked hard to finish the project as quickly as possible.
If you haven’t yet seen the new carpeting, and some of our new furniture and material rearrangements, stop by and take a look!
Stay tuned for some before-and-after photos…